The Urban Bug Out Bag and What To Choose For The Urban Survival Situation
Urban Survival is much different than regular survival situations. Most people talk about BOB’s like they are going hunting out in the woods for days but what about us city dwellers?
Well An Urban Survival Bug Out Bag is actually quite different from a traditional bugout bag. We don’t need camoflage or tons of items from an army surplus store.
For us city folk the story is much different. We not only need gear for the urban situation but much more forethought on what we will need.
We are not trying to live off the land for days or fish for our food; we need more and less at the same time.
The goal for Urban Survival is survive and blend in. Blending in is the key to urban emergency preparedness. Check out my article on The 5 Levels of Personal Protection for great Urban techniques!
You will be surrounded by a mass of people who most likely will not be as prepared as you are so the more you can blend in a disguise your gear and supplies the better. The goal for us is a “low-key” bug out kit. Here is a few tips on how to prepare and be a prepper for your Urban Survival Bug Out Bag.
- You will not need an “ALICE” bag. Not only does this stand out like a sore thumb but its also unnecessary. Think more along the lines of a regular backpack or messenger/laptop bag.
- Instead of sporting a full camouflage suit that you can sneak up on an animal in think more urban clothing like khakis and other neutral colored clothing.
- Think regular work books or athletic shoes instead of straight up boots.
- As for your security, consider a more “concealable” type like a semi or smaller or larger security. The key here is to blend in and let me tell you a massive one will not only stand out but it will take the element of surprise right out the window.
- Before you go hanging huge canteens of water around your neck in front of everyone consider keeping your water in your backpack.
- In know everyone raves about MRE’s for your food source but really in an urban setting how are you going to cook it let alone carry enough for yourself in a small pack. Think more along the lines of jerky or dried fruit and nuts.
The Urban Survival Situation
That’s the basic outline for an Urban bugout bag.
I know there’s probably much more you will want and or need but this is more of a generalized idea of how to create a kit for the Urban Survival Setting.
If you live in the city I suggest you reevaluate your bug out bag and see if all the things in there are really going to be used or if you’re just going to be carrying around a lot of extra weight.
Of course if you are planning on bugging out of the city to a remote woods type of setting then by all means you should pack all of the woodsy gear but keep in mind you will need to get out of the city as well, it cant hurt to add a few Urban Survival items into your pack.
Incoming search terms:
- urban bug out bag
- bug bags for city dwellers
- what you should pack in your urban survival kit