Here are the top things to remember when Bugging Out and Urban Survival. These tips are especially important to those of you who live in a city. When the SHTF you will need to be realistic about all of your expectations and plans. If you are bugging out from a city then you will need to expect the freeways and roads to resemble a real “carmagedon”.
Preppers and Survivalists that live in the city either by choice or simply because they have to, need to keep this in mind. For city dwellers especially, it is a good idea to have multiple evacuation routes and plans. Do not become complacent with your bug out plans, keep in mind that because of the dense populations of a city when things go wrong they tend to go very wrong in the urban jungle and you will need to be extremely adaptable to your situation when your thinking about Urban Survival.
Urban Survival Bug Out Tips
Here are the top Urban Survival tips you need to keep in mind, when leaving the city is the only safe option for you and your family.
- Be Aware of the Risks. Keep tabs on all of the current events and politics going on. This means locally and nationally. Understand all of the weather in your area and be aware of all natural disaster scenarios in your area as well for Urban Survival. The more populated the city you are in the more likely you will need to bug out if something really serious happens. Keep in mind when disaster strikes people get desperate and the more desperate people you are around the more risk you put you and your family at.
- Make a Bug Out Bag. The fact that you are reading this means you understand that there may be a possibility that you will need to bug out in a hurry. The best thing you can do for yourself is to prepare an Urban Survival bug out bag BEFORE you need it. If you need to leave in a hurry you are more likely to leave something important behind, this is why pre planning will save your sanity and maybe your life in an Urban bug out situation. There are many different opinions of what you should keep in your Urban Survival bug out bag, here is my bug out bag checklist that you can use as a reference. Regardless of what you put in your bag remember to always keep it in an easy to get location and make sure it is packed in something that you will be able to literally carry on your back if you need to travel on foot at some point.
- Decide on a Bug Out Location. You can have all the best gear and know every road and route in your area but if you don’t have a preplanned location you will end up wasting valuable time deciding where to go. Now every scenario will be different and I suggest having several Urban Survival Bug Out Locations. I would plan your locations based on security and natural disasters. For instance if you are in a flood area I would choose a high ground location as well as a fast and direct route out of the city. Also research your roads and freeways. If there is a disaster you better believe the freeways and main roads will be so jammed you might as well walk. Find some roads that are more out of the way and less traveled. Get away from the masses as soon as you can. A good rule of thumb is if it is hard for you to get there then most others won’t try to.
- Map Out the Best Escape Routes. Take into consideration your different options for transportation (i.e. bug out vehicles) and plan multiple routes that will accommodate those vehicles. For example if you have a car plan the best route for your car, if the roads are not travelable and you have a dirt bike plan a route for that and if you have a bug out RV then make sure you plan the best route for that. Be sure to choose roads that won’t be used when a mass exodus of city dwellers want to get out of dodge.
- Keep Your Bug Out Vehicle Ready. This is a pretty self-explanatory tip. Always make sure that whatever bug out vehicle you choose is well maintained and always had a full gas tank. You should also think about keeping extra parts in your car in case you are trying to get out and something breaks down. This is especially important if you are planning on bugging out with a motorhome for your Urban Survival.
- Think About Different Types of Transportation. Don’t think only about cars and trucks. Remember a bike or a motorcycle will be able to out maneuver a car in a traffic jam any day. If you live by a river or ocean consider getting a cheap boat. Not as many people will be bugging out by boat and you will definitely get to your pre planned location a lot faster, also consider you will be able to get to places that people without a boat can’t get to thus you will be able to get to a much more remote location.
- Think Beyond Transportation. You can’t rely on always being able to use your bug out vehicle. Something might happen and make it impossible no matter what bug out vehicle you choose. Be prepared to walk on foot. This means make sure all of your supplies are readily available to literally carry on your back. All the supplies in the world won’t mean much if you can transport them away from your vehicle.
- Blend In To The Crowd As Much As Possible. Don’t stand out! Remember not everyone is going to be as prepared as you are. People get desperate in situations of chaos and will do just about anything to provide for their family. This means that you need to look as if you are not prepared, don’t show off your weapons, food, water and anything else you have. Once people see that you have something they need you will immediately become a target. Protect yourself and your family and be inconspicuous in an Urban Survial Bug Out situation.
- Avoid People and Confrontations. Don’t let being armed boost your confidence to outrageous lengths. Even though you are armed and can defend yourself don’t let it get to that point. Chances are if you are confronted you might be out gunned and out armed. Travel in the dark and don’t go to heavily populated areas of mass evacuations as these areas will lend themselves to all sorts of crazy behavior.
- Don’t Lose Your Head and Go Back To Soon. It is human nature to want to return home and get to a familiar place to bunker down but if you have bugged out there is a reason you need to stay away. Don’t let these emotions cloud your mind. Stay hidden and at your bug out location until you are sure that order has been restored or that it’s safe to go back. Remember you don’t want to go trouncing back to your house only to get confronted by a mob or looters!
Urban Survival Bug Out Tips
If you implement all of these tips and techniques your bug out plan will surely be a much less hectic situation than most. Although a lot of these tips are common sense, in times of chaos it’s easy to not think clearly and react with emotion rather than logic. Take all of these Urban Survival Bug Out tips and implement them and you will be better off than most people!
Incoming search terms:
- bug out gear
- bugout gear
- bug out
- best bug out vehicle
- bug out truck
- survival truck
- urban shtf survival
- bug out vehicle gear
- bug out cars
- bug out trucks